Address: Unit B&D, 88-102 Ivy Street, Tai Kok Tsui 大角咀埃華街88-102號B&D舖
Telephone: 2789 1330
上次到black n white 試了多款精緻又美味的朱古力蛋糕及甜品，現在又有新系列! 我這次吃了鬆脆暖胃的鬆餅，很喜歡熱烘烘的黑朱古力軟心鬆餅，每一口都充滿香濃的朱古力味，十分滋味。還有香甜幼滑的焦糖杏仁雲呢嗱忌廉泡芙，和裝滿杏仁或榛子朱古力的手製的朱古力賀年禮盒，感覺非常甜蜜!
If there is one thing that I am sure of since my previous visit to black n white (see my previous review here), it is that black n white is a hit in Hong Kong. This unassuming dessert cafe in Tai Kok Tsui, helmed by celebrity chef Jeffrey Koo, is constantly churning out new products to lure us back for more. With the Christmas products sold out, Chef Koo now introduces something to help us keep warm in the cold weather – muffins!
These buttery delights, which can practically be eaten at all times during the day, come in 5 flavours and are sold at $20 each. If you are feeling adventurous (and/or hungry), you can order the muffin set at $88 and devour all 5 flavours!
(1) I’ll start with the lightest muffin, the Lemongrass muffin. The touch of lemongrass was utterly refreshing, and the citric taste cut through the butteriness and made for a delightfully fruity muffin. Next, the Raspberry Rosemary Muffin. I really liked the distinctive herbal taste of rosemary, and its fragrance lingered in the mouth. I understand that rosemary may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but do give it a try if you can – I don’t think I have seen this flavour anywhere else in Hong Kong! Thirdly, the Blueberry Cinnamon Muffin. This classic muffin is always satisfying, and the blueberries gave the muffin an extra layer of soft, mushy texture. The cinnamon taste was very mild, so don’t worry if you’re not a fan of cinnamon. Fourthly, the Salted Caramel Muffin – I simply adore salted caramel…Underneath the crust was a soft, tender muffin with a salted caramel filling. The filling was not completely melted yet, but the alluring sweetness of the caramel made up for it. Lastly, the 72% Dark Chocolate Muffin. Look at that gorgeous mud black colour – the chocolate muffin was very chocolatey from top to bottom. A thin layer of melted dark chocolate is coated over a hot, moist muffin. The chocolate filling oozed out as we cut the muffin open and it was a very happy moment!
(2) As each muffin is freshly baked upon order, it might take some time for them to arrive at your table. You could enjoy a cup of frothy latte and catch up with friends while you wait, which was what I did!
(3) If you order a cup of Sinking Island ($38), you can add $10 to get a muffin. If you remember from my previous review, this chocolate drink comes in 3 flavours: white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate (72%). Having tried dark chocolate last time, I decided to go for the white chocolate drink. The drink was sweet and decadent, and its creamy consistency was broken up by some ground cocoa bean sprinkled at the top. Instead of a sinking tropical island, the pure colours of this drink reminded me of a snow mountain!
(4) Black n white has also introduced cream puffs which come in two flavours. The first one I tried was the caramel and almond vanilla cream puff ($38). The puff itself was light and airy, and it had a beautiful, crumbly crust on top which I adored. The cream filling was fine and smooth, and a piece of buttery almond cookie sat at the base of this lovely dessert.
(5) More playful was the black olive and chocolate cream puff ($38). You can trust black n white to make chocolate-flavoured desserts, but the addition of black olives in a cream puff was rather unexpected! It tasted surprisingly pleasant, and in fact, the taste of black olives could have been even stronger for a more shocking effect.
(6) Instead of the usual biscuits and candies, when you visit your friends or relatives this Chinese New Year, you can consider buying them a Chocolate Treasure Box ($488) from black n white‘s CNY Chocolate Gift Collection!
The Treasure Box is filled with tasty chocolates.
There is a Golden Chocolate Hazelnut flavour:
And a Sparkling Chocolate Almond flavour:
Both flavours were awesome, but I preferred hazelnut just because I personally always find hazelnut a fantastic match with chocolate.
If you believe that good things come in small packages, so you could buy a Mini Chocolate Treasure Box ($368) instead, which contains 4 mini chocolate treasure boxes!