Address: 2/F, 32 Wyndham Street, Central 中環雲咸街32號2樓
Telephone: 2537 7555
在雲咸街的Sal Curioso是跟Madam Sixty Ate同一集團的新餐廳。餐廳的面積大，很有情調，主要供應以拉丁，南美及西班牙菜為主題的自創現代菜式。食物很有心思，而且味道都不錯，只不過份量很細。餐廳的酒吧也有多款自己研製的cocktail，如果不怕試比較另類的菜式的話，不防和朋友來吃一頓晚餐!
Opened in November 2012, Sal Curioso is the second venture by husband-and-wife Chris Woodyard and Bronwyn Cheung of Woolly Pig Concepts, the owners of the quirky restaurant in Wanchai, Madam Sixty Ate. Presenting re-invented dishes from Spain, Italy and South America, Sal Curioso is a funky and upbeat outlet that embraces the culture of food sharing.
The restaurant is a big and charming space with an outdoor terrace, and the menu features an enticing selection of inventive dishes, brought to us by the “food creator/scientist” Sal Curioso. The restaurant doesn’t impose a service charge (except for a party of 7 or above where a 5% charge is added), and the staff, even if not the most efficient, were amiable and helpful.
Conveniently located on Wyndham Street, I went to the restaurant for lunch and was very happy to find out that the Restaurant Week Menu had been extended, and we could order 4 items on the menu for $158 (normally it is $150 for 3 tapas for lunch), which was a great opportunity for us to try out more of the restaurant’s experimental dishes.
(1) We started off with the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Bites. The crispy-skinned chicken, corn ragout and some pop corn created a fiery combination of flavours.
(2) Next was the Battered Fish. Tender, flaky fish was encased in a layer of light-as-air batter, and a sweet green pea pipperade completed it.
(3) The Slow roasted pork belly was approachable and accomplished. Two pieces of beautifully roasted pork belly lounged on a bed of smooth, tasty white bean salad.
(4) The Cilantro-Spiced clams were packed with awesome flavours from the spices, but could have been a tad more salty.
(5) The presentation of the Corn Crackers was sleek, and these thin crackers crackled and melted in the mouth. Some avocado mousse, goats cheese, tomato relish and cilantro salsa added creamy elements and a nice punch.
(6) Fresh chunks of Sherry marinated tomatoes were finished off with torta del casa cheese whip, herbs and salsa, and it was a light yet satisfying spring dish.
(7) For desserts, the Rocky Road Bites was irresistible. The chemistry between the marshmallows and the chocolate was wonderful, and I particularly adored the sticky texture of it.
(8) The Iced Strawberries, served with fresh cream and a piece of coconut wafer, looked inviting and tasted delicious.
(9) The restaurant boasts a selection of house-made and house-infused drinks at the bar, but we didn’t try any of them when we came here for a weekday lunch. We did, however, order the Sal’s Detox (additional $35), a drink of apple and passion fruit juice infused with a kick of ginger & chilli. It was a refreshing drink, but the taste of ginger could have been stronger for a more dramatic effect.
Conclusion: The portions at this restaurant were rather small, but the majority of their bold, creative dishes tasted fantastic. If you are up for some curious, innovative dishes, Sal Curioso is the place for a fun and exciting night out.