Address: Ground floor, Net Lima building, 26th St, Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines
Telephone: +63 2 856 7600
Just like how the dining scene in Hong Kong has been soaring for the past 3-4 years, the number of dining outlets in Manila has recently been shooting through the roof, with an exciting range of restaurants opening up all over the city. I am in Manila for a short trip and manage to meet up with Jin Perez, a sweet and bubbly blogger at Jin Loves to Eat who used to work in Hong Kong and moved back to Manila a few years ago.
Besides blogging, Jin is also a restaurant consultant and columnist in Manila (you can find her contact details on her blog!), and she kindly picks a restaurant for our dinner that night. She chose Wildflour Bakery and Cafe, which is a casual, lively restaurant in the city centre which offers a selection of hearty, tasty international dishes.
The restaurant is trendy and popular, and has an outdoor area which is excellent for drinks.
(1) We start off with the octopus salad (PHP 390), which is light and delicious, with fresh mango, cilantro, basil and peanuts adding a refreshing kick.
(2) The pork meatballs (PHP 330) is gorgeously flavourful and juicy, and the sauce is tangy.
(3) The squid ink spaghetti (PHP 450) is nicely al dente, but the seafood in the serve – Manila clams, calamari and prawns – are only average.
(4) The California burger (PHP 450) looks fantastic, and also comes with an excitingly large serve of french fries. The US beef patty can be more flavourful though.
(5) From my previous visits to Manila, I have learned that the desserts here are generally very sweet, and I have adjusted my expectation of the “Tres leches” (PHP 195) accordingly. This dessert is quite sugary indeed, but the dulce de leche and whipped cream are utterly indulgent and delectable!
(6) The salted chocolate cake (PHP 250) is massive, but I am not complaining here! The chocolate flavour is excellently strong and the sprinkle of salt completes it. We don’t have any problems finishing this piece of cake!
It is so much fun catching up with you Jin, can’t wait to eat with you in Hong Kong!